16 June 2008

Steve's ordination

As I mentioned in a previous post, I was privileged to be present for the ordination of Steve Springer as an elder in the United Methodist Church. Steve has worked long and hard toward this goal, and everyone at the Red Bird Missionary Conference's annual meeting was excited and happy for him.

Steve is the pastor of the Thousandsticks and Lower Beech Fork UMCs. My home church, Center Moreland UMC, has been helping to support the ministry of Steve and his wife Dianne since I was in high school. In my English class when I was a senior, we had to write an "I-Search" paper, which involved interviewing people around a theme. Since I was interested in missionary work, Steve and Dianne were two of the people that I interviewed. Five years ago, Eric and I went with a group from the Center Moreland church on a trip to Thousandsticks to help a family in need in their community, and we loved the area and the idea of doing service work in an impoverished rural community.

So you can see that Steve and Dianne's ministry has had a significant impact on us. We hope to be able to spend more time with them this summer and to visit their churches.

Here's a picture from Steve's ordination. (I meant to add more, but Blogger isn't cooperating with me!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
You mentioned that you were interested in mission work back in high school. You remind me so much of my own Sarah. So, is this the type of mission work you envisioned - working at Henderson Settlement? Did you think more in terms of national rural missions or foreign missions?
I'm so proud to be partners in ministry with you and Eric this year.
Mike Tupper