10 May 2007

Done

I have completed my requirements for my Masters of Social Work degree. No more classes, No more papers, No more internship (I will still be there this summer I will just get a paycheck now).

I see what we will be doing as social work, even if I will be working on a farm. As of now I will be working in the farming department at Henderson. They have a herd of charlais beef cattle, several pigs, as well as greenhouses and an apple orchard. With the cattle and swine they have a program where individuals who want to support the people near Henderson will pay the cost of feed and caretaking for the animals and when it comes time for butchering low income families will apply to purchase the animals at a reduced cost to provide food for the long term.

The economy of the area has been traditionally based on coal and timber. As these resources have been depleted is has become part of Henderson's mission to educate local individuals on different opportunities for land use. This along with providing a minimal income are the goals of the greenhouses and orchard.

I will be glad to be returning to farm work, I have some experience with cattle and greenhouses but the pigs will be a new adventure.