07 July 2008

fun at the day care

As you may know, Henderson Settlement runs a day care center for the community. It's a good facility with great staff and low cost to the working parents in the community.

For the past few months, I've had the opportunity to go to the day care once a week to do a short music-and-movement-type program. The young kids, for the most part, seem to get a kick out of it, and I get my fix of spending time with funny children.

There's one young boy there, though, whom I'll call C., who never wanted to participate in the program. C. is about three years old, and Pat (one of the staff members) told me that he hates music. I never took it personally--hey, if he hates music, I'm not going to force him to do the program and give him reason to hate it even more!

A few weeks ago, though, I noticed that he came over to the group and watched and participated in some of the songs. I thought that was pretty cool and figured he must've been in a good mood that day.

Last week, though, when I arrived at the day care, C. was the first one who greeted me when I walked in the door. He ran over yelling my name and threw himself at me, wrapping his arms around my legs. I said to Pat that he must be having a really good day!

What surprised me even more, though, is that he went right over to the area where we do the program and got ready to participate. And he did ALL of it! And after each song or rhyme or story, he clapped as hard as he could and yelled, "YAY!" at the top of his lungs!

I guess C. must've learned from watching his small friends at the day care that music can be fun. I hope that when I go to the day care this Wednesday, he'll be happy to see me again!

No comments: