01 October 2007

first impressions

Today was our first day of work, I worked on the farm watering mums, feeding bulls and working in the garden. We spoke with the director Sunday night and this morning he gave us a tour and introduced to us more people than we will remember. I may not be working solely on the farm, I will work a few different places and see where I am most useful. The director is interested in the possibility of "cleaning house" and getting rid of junk everywhere, I may also do some development work or other social work type duties, it seems up in the air right now and that is ok. Oh, and I may get to coach a youth basketball team, I remember playing one season of youth basketball and I was rather poor...check that, very poor, but in the haymow I was akin to Michael Jordan.

Here are some cultural observations that I have noticed since we got here on Saturday.
  • There are many four-wheelers on the road used as transportation.
  • Sometimes there are gunshots to be heard.
  • The road signs have bullet holes in them. (good to know what they are aiming at)
  • Everyone waves while driving...everyone.
  • Everyone is related, not stereotypical related, just related.
  • 3 of 12 stations on basic cable are continually preaching the word of God.

There will be more cultural observations in the future I'm sure.

7 comments:

Tara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tara said...

I'm so glad you are keeping us updated. The bedspread is sweet. You should make an article of clothing out of it (and then give it to me for my birthday). I'm just saying.

Although here our basic cable offers only one God/Jesus channel, which is the public access channel, we do get National Geographic way up on channel 75--so it's worth going through all the snowy channels. Trust me. The Dog Whisperer marathons are like going to church.

If you don't get the Dog Whisperer, either call the cable company or go shoot their sign.

Anonymous said...

I think you were well prepared for the watering job by work for Uncle Tim. I love the observations!

And I love the dog whisperer, too! He is compelling to dog and owner alike.
Aunt Joan

Anonymous said...

I appreciate the cultural observations and look forward to hearing more in the future. Good luck with the social work "type" duties too. :)

Anonymous said...

Eric, I would to love to see you coach a Youth Basketball team, I can just imagine you doing that.

Anonymous said...

I remember the basketball playing. You might be good at HORSE OR HOG OR whatever you called it. But, Michel Jordan???

Love ya
MOM

Anonymous said...

I can give you some tips from my season as the 8th grade basketball coach. :-)