24 October 2007

ministry

Last week, we mentioned about some young-ish work campers who were here, one of them being Jennifer. Jennifer is a hair dresser. Now some of you may remember that I got a haircut that I wasn't too fond of a couple of months ago. She trimmed it so that it'll grow back better AND so that I can see better, and I really appreciated that! She spent a good chunk of one afternoon between her work camp assignment and dinner giving trims to several of the ladies. Obviously, she's someone who's happy to share her talents.

There was one woman in particular, though, whom Jennifer helped to recover from a particularly bad haircut that she had received the week before. You should have seen this woman when Jennifer finished with her--she was BEAMING. She was so happy to have her hair fixed that it totally made her week.

Later, Jennifer's boyfriend Stuart said that she had her own ministry. I completely agree with him. Jennifer has the ability to help people look their best, which makes them feel good about themselves and give them confidence. This is an amazing gift! I hadn't thought to put hair dressers on the top of the list of people who minister to others, but now I've changed my mind. I have to be more careful to watch how people in all kinds of professions minister to the people around them.

And Stuart, Jennifer, and Seth--if you're reading this, thanks so much for hanging out with us. We really enjoyed your company.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you - I have often thought how Susan Brobst ministers to our community and even written her a thank you note. And there was a hair dresser who washed and cut Mom Mom's hair when she was in the hospice unit - and she did it while your grandmother was in bed. She was an angel sent from God.

Can we see what your new trim looks like??? love you lots, mom r :)

Anonymous said...

I agree too. I told my hair dresser, Andrea, about this when I visited her last night. She ministers to me by bringing my spirits up with a good cut and in being a good listener. She has become a good friend and enjoys hearing about both of you. Mom Y