11 February 2008

my birthday

I think it's time to tell about my birthday.

I ended up having pretty much a week-long celebration extravaganza....lucky me! I started receiving gifts in the mail last Monday, and Eric persuaded me (although he didn't have to work too hard at it) to open them as soon as I got them, without waiting for my actual birthday. I really enjoyed my packages with all of the goodies and gifts. I especially liked the one from my sister, complete with a Hello Kitty calendar, Batgirl tattoos, and a miniature Alf comic book (remember Alf?).

On Tuesday, we had our weekly "transplants" dinner, and Lori had made a birthday cake for me! What a great surprise!

On Wednesday (my actual birthday), I was scheduled to read to Lori's first graders. Mike and Ellie walked over with me, and as I walked into the hallway, Mike said, "Hey, look at this!" He pointed out the first of a whole set of posters that the first-graders had made to illustrate the major events in my life!

As we got closer to Lori's classroom, she came out to meet us and said that the kids were waiting to surprise me. I walked in the door, and they all jumped out from under the desk, and yelled, "SURPRISE!!" I was VERY surprised to have such a wonderful party! The kids had helped Miss Lori write the story of my life, and Mike (known to the kids as Mr T) read the story aloud while the kids began to enjoy their cupcakes.

I did end up reading the stories I had brought along, but I think that it was anticlimatic after the surprise party!

Here I am with Miss Lori.

Then yesterday, Eric surprised me by watching all five hours of the BBC's version of Pride and Prejudice with me. He didn't complain at all, and he laughed in all the right places. He's a good sport....and a wonderful husband.

Thank you to everybody who sent me cards and packages and emails and messages! And thank you again to Miss Lori for my surprise party. You ALL made me feel wonderful and special, and you made me have one of my best birthdays ever. I am very blessed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a terrific birthday!!! I'm glad it was happy. Now you're missing some really great weather here...low of 5 degrees forcast for tonight and 5" of snow or so tomorrow! Take care, Love, Joan

Anonymous said...

The long awaited birthday blog is wonderful - what an honor to have a class do a time line of your life. Most people who have had that honor also are mentioned in the history text book. We always new you were great!! love you lots

Tara said...

I remember Alf. He was from Melmack and liked to eat cats. I wish he'd come visit me.

Was the BBC version of P&P awesome? I too am proud of Eric's laughing in the right places--Elizabeth is funny when you pay attention. And so is her dad.

P.S. For those of you who don't think you like Jane Austen, if you watched and enjoyed the Bridget Jones movies or Clueless, you watched and enjoyed a Jane Austen plot. Bridget Jones' Diary = Pride and Prejudice (Colin Firth plays Mr. Darcy in Bridget Jones and ALSO in the BBC Pride and Prejudice!). Bridget Jones: Edge of Reason = Persuasion. Clueless = Emma :-)

Consider yourself enlightened.
I'm glad you had a good birthday, Sarah!

Anonymous said...

Sarah, thank you for being here so my class could "give" to you...they are so accustomed to being recipients, we sometimes forget how giving they are. They were so empowered that day and still talk about and love "Miss Sarah" I appreciate you reading to them even when we show up on the wrong day! :)

Anonymous said...

Sarah, thank you for being here so my class could "give" to you...they are so accustomed to being recipients, we sometimes forget how giving they are. They were so empowered that day and still talk about and love "Miss Sarah" I appreciate you reading to them even when we show up on the wrong day! :)