30 March 2008

that part doesn't break


This winter the grinder we use on the farm to grind our own feed broke. We called the New Holland parts place and they said that they did not have that part in stock because it did not break, I guess we proved them wrong. We made more calls and internet searches and found the part we needed for the low low price of $1,000, which we could not afford. When my father was down he saw the need that we were in. When he returned home he "reluctantly" went to the junk yard to see if he could find a used part. He did indeed find what we needed and he and my grandmother bought it at the bargain price of $350. It was loaded in my fathers truck and my parents and I both headed for Harrisonburg VA to exchange the part and Easter baskets. After having lunch at Cally's, I backed up the settlements van to his truck and the exchange was complete. All we need now is to get Ray to put it all back together as he was the one who tore it all apart.
It may be odd to dedicate machinery parts but it is appropriate that this was donated in memory of Bud Rabenstein who had passed away a week earlier. I remember growing up going to church with him and how huge and strong his hands were for being a small man, he was a faithful man and will be missed.

No comments: