30 March 2008

stuff

Sarah and I had a conversation recently about materialism, consumerism and wealth, which is where this post comes from. I feel that part of what we are doing here and hope to do for the rest of our lives is to challenge the norm of wealth and materials. I say this with the admission that every time I walk into a record store I feel the need to buy something and want to buy everything. I want to challenge the norm of what it means to be wealthy and what really constitutes a need. We all need food and shelter and I would argue love and community, but we don't need cable and movies or even TV. I want to challenge the norm of buying a house and a car and a boat and another car (of which I have one).

We can easily appease ourselves with not buying as much or making our purchases from an alternate "green" consumerism or "Christian" consumerism. And I know that I have done so, saying that I am spending my money wisely or for a higher cause, but I still buy into an ad campaign and buy stuff.

We talked about this in reference of figuring out what we want to do after our year of volunteering is up, granted we have plenty of time. First things first we have a ton of student loans to pay off. That requires a real job at some point. Then, we like the idea of "retiring early" (like in our thirties) and volunteer for a living. Realistically we could do something similar to what we are doing now for a long time. We work and they give us an apartment and food, what more do you need? Oh yeah, health insurance. I have found the Christian Healthcare Ministries, we have asked for some information and don't know any details yet but it looks promising.

I do not want anyone to take this as a disapproval of the lifestyle that they are living. Everyone we are related to and are friends with are doing good things with their resources and no one has made it to the Paris Hilton level yet (I'll let you know when you get there).

So, what do you think.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you guys are amazing, that's what I think! I'm not sure if Sarah told you but we are talking about moving to Wyalusing after we are done here, living in a cabin off the grid on Ryan's parent's property and trying to live as simply as possible. Of course the real jobs apply to us as well, since I have mega student loans, and as of the last 6 months medical bills. I love you guys, and thing you are awesome.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations,Son,for being human! Though your intentions are honourable,you still have to survive.I'm impressed with the way you have been able to help people but still have a decent life.I know you two have a lot of "earning power",but I couldn't be prouder of what you've done with your lives.I don't know if you remember your Grampa Yetter's calling hours,or what I told you that day, but I wanted you to see how really rich he was. He was a "sit in the back pew" guy,but had done so much for so many, his loss was felt. I,too see my father in the mirror sometimes, but I know I'll never be half the man he was. I see some of him in you,the caring, the frustrations with the way things are,a little bit of the temper and the "giving a damn till it hurts" I know he would proud. Love,dad Y.

Anonymous said...

your dad's comments made me cry and feel rich because of all of you.
Grandma Y

Anonymous said...

Just like my thoughts on a someday wedding (ha!) and the death penalty, my thoughts go back and forth on this. Obviously, it's always a good/right choice. I just go back and forth of being suckered into materialism or not. Of course this is greatly influenced by who I am around most frequently, and certainly Miami ruined me to an extent. I wonder if it will change when I move. Of course, there is a bit of neurosis behind all of this. :-)